Friday, February 15, 2013

Birds in Victoria Park



 Here's quartet of little corellas (a type of cockatoo). The top one is grooming its wing.
They congregate in what, I think, are fig trees.


All the corellas looked scruffier than the ones you see in zoos. They make a lot of noise. You can hear some of the screeching in the background of the clip below.


The funny thing about filming birds is that you have no idea if they are going to do anything "interesting." Apparently, many types of cockatoos chew on and even eat bark from trees to keep their beaks healthy and in the proper shape. However, this can cause damage to the tree if the flock of cockatoos is large enough.


This is a dusky moorhen or waterhen. The following clip is a little unfocused, but you can see what she looks like in action: (Hey, Penelope, I thought of you when I made these clips).










Australian white ibis are everywhere - even in Sylvia's schoolyard.



And this is a silver gull. Don't you love how it's tail feathers look polka-dotted?

These are a few of the birds I saw while walking through Victoria Park last Wednesday. Writing about them is a bit like writing about robins, sparrows, and blue jays in New England. All of them are very common here, but I find them all fascinating. I hope you do too.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the videos didn't come through on the iPad. I find the birds fascinating. You have some really good photos of them. That moorhen is quite interesting with its striped legs. Looks like it has leggings on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am able to see the videos. I can't wait to show these pictures to my friend who really loves birds.

    ReplyDelete