Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pastries!

In Sydney people are very serious about their patisseries or pastry shops. If we happen to mention to someone that we are going to a particular suburb or neighborhood, invariably they will tell us we have to go to such-and-such bakery. Happily, we often take their advice.


Watermelon and strawberry cake with rosewater cream from Black Star Bakery in Newtown.
I have never seen watermelon in a cake before, have you?















Opera at La Banette in Glebe.

This reminded me of Nice, France - the first place I ever had l'opera.












Passion de Pierre
at La Renaissance in The Rocks.

A pastry with passionfruit mousse and polka dots.
Who could resist that?




Chocolate éclair at Bakerman in Erskineville.
I think this was the most scrumptious éclair I've ever had.



Tart Tartin and a flat white from La Croix in Potts Point. Oo-la-la!
I don't think I've had one since Passez a Table in Nice, France.


We've savored every bite. Need I say more?

5 comments:

  1. It all looks amazing! Including the flat white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flat whites really are delicious! And all the cups here are smaller, so one is really encouraged to savor everythin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now officially STARVING for a good pastry!!! Watermelon sounds oddly refreshing amidst a bite of something more decadent - how did it taste? & the L'opera - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must remember to read this when I am not hungry! Wow! You have been eating your way through the bakeries. That is Mike's favorite way to visit a country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The watermelon and strawberry cake was delicious and tasted very light--as if it had very few calories, which I'm sure is not the case. We've had lots of good food here of all kinds, but I think desserts are the most photogenic. (Definitely not something I thought about before this blog!)

    -Heather

    ReplyDelete